Dr. Carlos Rivera Serrano
Carlos Rivera-Serrano, MD, is a U.S. trained plastic and reconstructive surgeon with additional advanced training in Asia and Europe.
Dr. Rivera-Serrano was born in Colombia but found a new home in Carbondale after SIH recruited him. His main interests include: facial cosmetic and reconstructive surgery, rhinoplasty, breast surgery and body contouring.
With his world-class training background, patients don’t have to travel far from home to get world-class care. During an initial consultation, he always puts his patient’s welfare first before proceeding with surgery. He talks about their expectations, along with answering any questions they might have about the procedure. What brings him joy is helping patients feel more confident about their self-image as they age.
Throughout his career, he’s traveled the world to work at famed hospital institutions, picking up many awards and accolades along the way. Here are a few of his career highlights:
- He from graduated medical school among the top three students in his class.
- During rotations at Mount Sinai School of Medicine and Harvard University as a senior medical student, he was graded with Honors in five of seven clinical rotations.
- For four consecutive years during his residency at the University of Pittsburgh, he won the “Isamu Sando” Temporal Bone Dissection Contest, was a representative to the American Academy of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery (AAOHNS) and received several AAOHNS Resident Leadership Awards.
- He completed a one-year clinical fellowship in Craniofacial Surgery / Reconstructive Microsurgery at the Chang Gung Memorial Hospital in Taiwan, the leading and prime plastic surgery center in Asia.
- During his time in Taiwan, he was the Noordhoff Craniofacial Foundation Fellow, operating on several children and adults with craniofacial congenital anomalies.
- He completed a clinical Reconstructive Microsurgery Fellowship at Gent University Hospital in Belgium, regarded as one of the premier plastic surgery programs in Europe, focusing on complex microvascular breast reconstruction and perforator flaps (free tissue transfer or “free flaps”).
- He’s written more than 30 peer-reviewed publications and chapters in leading journals and books. He’s also presented at more than 40 regional, national and international meetings.
I’ve lived, traveled and worked all over the world, but calling Carbondale my home feels right. I can’t think of anything more rewarding than helping people in our community feel like their true selves.
Address & Phone1400 Financial Park
Carbondale, IL 62902
HoursMonday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8 a.m - 4:30 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.